Friday, December 5, 2008

Time for some Scadenfreude: Coldyplay get sued




Now I may not hate Coldplay, but I think they're vastly overrated and are soft Radiohead imitators. What also drives me crazy about them is how unambitious they are, despite what their behavior suggests.

It also turns out that they are high class plagarists. "Viva la Vida" is not so original as it turns out.

This isn't the first time someone has made these accusations towards the band. Few year's back, Coldplay (lawfully) borrowed the main riff from Kraftwerk's "Computer Love" for their own song, "Talk". However, now that their stock has risen, they are more susceptible to scrutiny. So it's no surprise that someone (Joe Satriani of all people) is taking them to court for song stealing. Not only that, they was much speculation that Chris Martin & Co. also stole from Brooklyn based band Creaky Boards.

When things like this happen, I tend to look down upon the band accused of it, even if they are innocent. I have a problem when rock bands sample in ways like this, and use the said song in a non-post-modern way. It's alright when Beck or Justice does it, because at times, the sample is barely noticable. When a band like Coldplay does it (I'm talking about the legal use of "Talk" for now), it is not as good because it not being used to create new textures.

Then again, it's probably a coincidence that this happened, and the lawsuit is only happening due to their popularity. I mean, nobody sued Pavement when they obviously ripped off Led Zeppelin, with "Rattled by the Rush". (I still love you, SM and Spiral Stairs, btw)





Whatcha think about this?

O, and I'd like to see if anybody else thinks that Coldplay also ripped off drummers:

No comments: